Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cheap Sherlock Holmes (2010)


I've been a big Sherlock Holmes fan since I was in junior high (I'm 38 now). I love the original stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the most famous movie adaptations featuring Basil Rathbone and, more recently, Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. I was skeptical that this movie would be in the same league as those portrayals of Holmes. My concerns were well founded. The writers decided to give Holmes an edgier persona, probably to appeal to a younger viewing audience. Sherlock Holmes is portrayed as sloppy looking, cocky, and rude. At times he actually comes across as an idiot. Sherlock Holmes did not possess these qualities. He was meticulous, confident (yes), but dignified and always a gentleman. And he never came across as an idiot. In addition the film is excessively packed with over the top action scenes and hand to hand combat (they even have Holmes compete in an ultimate fighting style cage match). I realize that this stuff is popular today, but I was hoping for just a good suspenseful mystery. That's what Sherlock Holmes was all about. The story line itself is really weak and filled with supernatural elements. The actor portraying Dr. Watson didn't do a bad job, and Rachel McAdams was decent as Irene Adler. But this was hardly enough to offset the weak story and, more importantly, the horrible portrayal of Sherlock
Holmes. If you're a fan of the "traditional" Sherlock Holmes, I think you will be very disappointed with this film.Get more detail about Sherlock Holmes (2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment